Thursday, August 8, 2013

Review: The Fault In Our Stars.

As you know from my post HERE, I bought my first John Green book when I was in Bristol last month. I had no idea what it was about or anything, I had just heard so much good about both Green and all his books, so I decided to give it a go, and it was only £7 (purchased in another store than the other three books).
I'll try to write a review of it without giving too many spoilers.

When I'd bought it I posted a picture of the book on instagram and told one of my friends. All the reactions I got was like "get tissues!", "you'll cry at the end" and things like that, so I really expected a very very sad ending. Besides that I expected it to be so well written and amazing, because of all the praising I've read on the internet.



I have to say that I was really disasppointed. I did not share a single tear and that's not just because I read it when there were people around me - I finished it in England and there were people around me 24/7. I did not feel like crying at one single moment. Yes, of course it was sad, but not sad enough for me to start crying.

It's about a girl named Hazel who has a form of lung cancer at 16 years of age. She's terminal but trying to live her life as normally as possible. She goes to these support group meetings in a church with others who have cancer, and that's where she meets Augustus, who she becomes very attatched to.
And I can't reveal anything else without spoiling the entire ending of the book. That sounds pretty boring to me if you think about it.

It wasn't as well written and amazing as I had expected. I can easily mention other books that are more well written and amazing than this one. Harry Potter is one of them, I have not yet read a single book that's more well written and amazing than all of those books.

It's not that I didn't enjoy reading it, I did, obviously, because I finished it in a few days, and I was pretty busy when I was in England. I think the book's alright, but not as great as everyone says it is. Far from.

It won't keep me from reading other of John Green's greatest hits, though. I need to see what all the fuss is about and I'm too curious to give up.

One thing that came out of this that's actually something I find so lovely is the song the YouTuber Troye Sivan made, inspired by this book. I listened to the song before I read the book, and trust me, it still works. That song made me cry my eyes out, opposite the book. The song is just so beautiful, and so is the video. Take a look here.




No comments:

Post a Comment